The British Schools, Montevideo, celebrates its founders' day on the 8th of October every year. The School was established in 1908 with "the object of giving children a complete education, both intellectual and moral, based upon the ideas and principles of the best schools in the British Isles" so that "bonds of understanding and friendship should be established between British children and the children of this country, such bonds being of the greatest value in their future lives." Classes began on the 5th of February 1909 in a building located in Juan Blanes street. As was customary at the time, there were two separate schools: one for boys and one for girls, and only the Kindergarten section, situated in a different part of town, was mixed.
In 1936 marked a watershed for The British Schools: in that year it went co-educational and the official Uruguayan Liceo section was incorporated. Ten years later, the Board of Governors, with a vision of the future development of the Schools decided to buy 10 hectares of land in the outlying area of Carrasco, on which to build a new campus.
In 1958, the Senior School moved to Carrasco and finally, in 1965, the Junior moved from Pocitos to its present site. The 70's brought other major changes: The British Schools was amongst the first, worldwide, to introduce the International Baccalaureate; in 1977, two extra pre-university years (Preparatorios) were added to the Senior School, and the administrative structure was changed to include two independent Heads, one for the Senior and one for the Junior School in lieu of the overall School Headmaster.
Remaining in the vanguard of educational practices, a pre-school class for 4 year-olds was opened in 1990. In 1993, a building across the street from the Junior was purchased and refurbished to house this new Kindergarten.
In November 1998, a gymnasium was built which hosts a wide variety of sports and other activities. In 2002 a new Auditorium with 420 seats was built in the Senior. It is used for concerts, conferences, assemblies, international examinations and School plays. In 2005, honouring the memory of Mr. P.S. Schor, Headmaster of the School from 1929 to 1961 with the exception of the WW II years, the Auditorium was named after him.
While by 1938 the total number of students in the School barely reached the 200 mark, today, there are over 700 children in the Junior School and almost 600 in the Senior School. Over the years, graduates from The British Schools have, through their achievements and contributions to society, become leaders in the community. At every level of society they have exercised their influence by applying the knowledge, skills and values they acquired during their formative years at the School.